There are few better ways to celebrate the beauty of Autumn pumpkins than by making them shine in this simple, hearty soup. Lovely on its own with some nice bread and a green salad, it also makes a great base for flavours like Thai or Indian – you could even use it as pasta sauce! Use eating pumpkins like Jap – known as Kabocha in the US, Butternut, Queensland Blue and Acorn.
- 1 kg / 2.2 lbs pumpkin
- 1 large carrot
- 1 brown onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 cups stock
- Sea salt, cracked black pepper
- Peel pumpkin and scoop out seeds. Remove papery skins from onions and garlic.
- Roughly dice all ingredients and place in a large heavy-based saucepan. Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add enough stock to just cover the vegetables, cover pan and simmer for 30-35 minutes until all ingredients are soft when pierced with a fork
- Puree in pan using an immersion stick blender, or allow to cool slightly before pureeing in a blender or food processor.
- Serve immediately or return to pan and thin with water, milk or milk substitute to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* Quality pre-made low-sodium stock can be replaced with water and a good stock powder.
Try these flavour ideas:
Thyme & chili; Coconut milk & curry paste; Cumin & cinnamon
Vegan | Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Soy Free | Nut Free | Refined Sugar Free | Vegetarian | Paleo